Dont Let Pain Ruin Your Career
- Dental Hygienists
- Tattoo Artists
- Desk/ Computer Jobs
- Construction Workers
- Tree Trimmers
Dont Let Pain Ruin Your Career
Many jobs/ careers that involve repetitive movements result in chronic pain and injuries. The pain can make work difficult and, if left untreated, can result in disability. For example, most massage careers end after 7 years, because of chronic pain and injuries. In order to prolong their careers, massage therapists need to use good body mechanics and get one hour massage for every 15 hours they work. Other jobs that can benefit from regular massage are:
Rolling on balls and using other tools made specifically for self-massage is one of the best things you can do for yourself.
• It is just as beneficial, as relaxing and as effective as paid massage.
• With time and practice, your body awareness increases, your ability to find and fix your problem areas improves and your posture/ alignment improves.
• Money will no longer limit your ability to get a daily massage.
I teach with a variety of self-massage tools and make recommendations based on what works best for each individual. I use foam rollers of different densities, the thumby, the davinci tool and massage balls of different sizes and densities.
I offer self-massage instruction in the following formats:
• A stand alone one hour session $60.
• At end of a massage session, I can teach you a few techniques to work on specific problem areas. $1/ minute.
• Self Massage instruction can be combined with Movement Therapy & Core Conditioning sessions $60/ hour.
The ideal massage position during pregnancy is sidelying. I use specialized pregnancy cushions for sidelying prenatal massage. The cushions take pressure off the shoulder joint, keep the belly supported and the entire body aligned. Most moms say they need cushions like these at home to sleep better.
To set up the table and cushions for a massage, a sheet is placed over the cushions, another sheet is used to cover the mom to be, and a pillow is used to support the upper arm.
The sidelying position allows for a great neck, shoulder, back, leg and hip massage. It also allows for face and chest massage, and stretching of limbs and torso.
I also use an incline position when it's time to do Arvigo Therapy/ a belly massage.
Before I talk about miscarriages, i need to explain how pregnancies are timed.
•Doctors use the date of the last period you had just before this pregnancy as day one of your pregnancy.
•On average, women conceive (the sperm and ovum unite and create an egg) 14 days after the first day of their most recent period. Some women may conceive as early as 10 days after their last period or as late as 21 days after their last period. If you can pinpoint when you ovulate, you can get a better estimate of how pregnant you really are. If you want to learn how to figure out when you ovulate, go here.
•The egg travels through the Fallopian tube to the uterus where it implants/ binds to the lining of the uterus, about 7-10 days after conception.
• most women menstruate every 28-30 days. If your period is late, you may be pregnant.
80% of Miscarriages occur by week 8. There are different causes for miscarriage.
1) If the egg implanted in the Fallopian tube, the pregnancy is ECTOPIC pregnancy. When the embryo grows large enough, the Fallopian tube will burst. Its very painful and it will be necessary to go to the emergency room and get surgery. Ectopic pregnancy can be prevented with Arvigo Therapy before you get pregnant, which includes uterus massage to center your uterus, vaginal steams and castor oil packs for 3 months. These 3 therapies will remove any blockages in your tubes. Schedule an appointment with an Arvigo Therapist to get instructions. I'm an Arvigo Therapist, you can also look for one near you at ArvigoTherapy.com.
2) there may have been something wrong with the formation of the embryo and it couldn't survive.
3) Hormonal Imbalances. Doctors suspect low progesterone after you have had 3 early miscarriages. You can figure out if you have low progesterone, before experiencing 3 miscarriages, if you chart your cycles." To learn about charting, go here. If you do have low progesterone, you need to cut out all sugar, dairy and gluten from your diet and eat only antibiotic free and hormone free meats and organic vegetables.
4. Incompetent Cervix is another cause of miscarriage. It occurs after 12 weeks when the contents of the uterus get too heavy and the cervix opens. This may be prevented with the prior knowledge that this may happen to you if you've had surgery on your cervix. The doctor can also spot it sometimes before it's too late and sew the cervix shut.
How do you know if you are miscarrying?
• if you are cramping and bleeding, you may be having a miscarriage. You can be bleeding and not miscarry. You can be cramping and not miscarrying. Both cramping and bleeding have to happening simultaneously.
• Sometimes the embryo dies, but your body doesn't release it. You may have no idea you miscarried until you visit your doctor. The doctor might suspect miscarriage if he/she measures your uterus and notices the uterus hasn't grown. They will do an ultrasound to look for a heartbeat and not find one. This is called a Missed Miscarriage They will then schedule you for surgery to remove it, a D&C. I had two missed miscarriages. Read about them here.
What happens during a miscarriage?
•miscarriages that occur before 9 weeks pregnancy, result in heavier than normal periods.
• miscarriages that occur after 9 weeks are like mini labors. They can be hard work and they are bloody, extremely painful and nauseating for hours. The placenta is pretty large at this stage and you will notice it. It's important to see an OB or a midwife afterward to make sure there's nothing left in your uterus that can cause an infection.
•If the pregnancy reaches 20 weeks and the baby didn't survive, it's called a stillbirth. There are different reasons for stillbirths.
Prenatal & Postpartum
What is lotion?
Lotion is an emulsion (blend) of water, a small amount of oil and bunch of toxic ingredients.
Why do they add toxic ingredients?
1. When oil and water are combined, they separate and the oil floats to the top. Emulsifiers are added to stop the oil and water from separating. They are toxic.
2. Bacteria and fungus start to grow when water is added to oil. Toxic ingredients are added to stop bacterial and fungal growth.
3. Synthetic chemical scents are added to make lotions smell nice. They are used instead of essential oils, because they are inexpensive.
Try these methods, instead of using lotion.
1. apply oil directly to freshly showered/ bathed wet skin. You will instantly create lotion on your skin. After massaging it in, pat your skin dry (don't rub) with a towel.
2. Make a salt or sugar scrub. Combine oil with sugar or salt or both in a container and add enough oil to cover everything. You can add essential oils to the scrub. Use the scrub at the end of a shower and rinse off. Your skin will be exfoliated and moisturized.
3. Add a little oil to bath water and you will come out of the tub with very moisturized skin.
Which body Oils are Recommended?
•always use organic unrefined oil
•A single oil or a combination of oils can be used
•Some examples of good oils are coconut oil, olive oil, jojoba oil, sunflower oil, sesame oil, and avocado oil. Experiment with different oils to find the ones that are best for your skin.
Which oils should be Avoided?
• Genetically modified oils like canola, corn and vegetable oil. Canola oil is a registered pesticide. Don't even cook with these.
I am a Certified Massage Therapist, Arvigo Practitioner and (almost certified) Aromatherapist. I use this blog to share information about natural and organic health and beauty.